Connectivity Problem with Enshrouded - SFTP is unavailable

System Information

Field Value
Operating System Windows - Windows Server 2022 on x86_64
Product AMP ‘Callisto’ v2.5.0.0 (Mainline)
Virtualization Xen
Application Enshrouded
Module GenericModule
Running in Container No
Current State Stopped

Problem Description

Issue

Any attempts to connect to SFTP on this instance fail. ampinstmgr ports and ampinstmgr dumpfirewall both don’t show the SFTP ports, so I assume they are being blocked by the firewall maybe? I’m not totally sure. However the web UI shows that the SFTP port 2224 is open (the indicator is green)

Reproduction Steps

• Install Windows Server 2022 Core (no desktop environment)
  • Add AppCompatibility, DirectX and VCRedist to the server
  • Set up AMP server in Target mode. I have one controller and one other target but that’s not relevant
  • Create Enshrouded game instance with default settings. Add it as a game server in Steam and test it (query ports and game ports work fine)

Update

I was able to get it working by following the instructions here to deploy OpenSSH on Windows Server.
This is probably something that installing AMP should take care of, but I guess since I’m using Windows Server Core, there are more features that aren’t available by default. I also had to manually installed DirectX, VCRedist, and ServerCore.AppCompatibility as per the this server install powershell script for Enshrouded.

I thought Windows Server Core would be more popular as an AMP target due to its reduced overhead by not having a desktop environment, but lack of support from AMP for this OS is a little troubling … especially for Windows-only game servers like Enshrouded, where Linux is not an option (not without using an extra layer like Wine).

Any game servers that rely on DirectX runtimes won’t work (properly) on Server Core because it doesn’t support DirectX. Enshrouded actually works very well on Linux with AMP which takes care of any extra layers for you (which doesn’t actually result in much overhead). In practice Server Core (in fact Windows in general) is not a popular choice for game servers.

Does AMP show the SFTP port in the connection information on the status screen?

Hey Mike, thanks for your response.

I was forced to use Windows with Enshrouded in particular because when I was running it on Linux I had far too much game lag.
I’m running a dual xeon server with 96gb RAM so I did not think it could be a hardware issue.

I was proved correct when I installed the Enshrouded server on widows 11 and everything worked very smoothly on the same hardware. However the extra overhead that windows 11 constantly needs is unnecessary.

Anyway, the status screen DID show that the SFTP was open, but if was incorrect. When I was ampinstmgr ports and ampinstmgr dumpfirewall it didn’t show the SFTP port.

As per my edit on the original post, I was able to resolve the issue by manually installing and enabling OpenSSH Server. I assume that because you’re recommending I move away from Windows it’s not really supported by AMP, but unfortunately that’s not an option with the current Enshrouded server config.